Sometimes a stalker even posts the victim`s private information online.
- Stalking can be physical or posible
- Victims are terrorized by their stalkers
- Majority of victims are women
- Most stalkers are masculine
- Keep all private details safe online
- Share phone numbers etc only if you know a person well enough
Ex-lovers and rejected suitors sometimes turn into stalkers. It’s a story wij have sometimes heard of and often seen ter movies. While physical stalking has of course bot around for several years, cyberstalking is a fairly latest phenomenon and is growing ter recurrence with the enhanced availability of computers and internet across the world.
What is Stalking?
Any unwanted attention from an individual or even a group is defined spil stalking. Typically, stalking may include harassing and intimidating the victim and normal obsessive behavior. Cases of stalking are zonderling te the world of online dating but nevertheless, before you arrange a meeting with an online date, make sure you know them well enough and read our tips for staying safe when meeting someone for the very first time.
What is Cyberstalking?
There is no official definition of cyberstalking. When an individual or a group uses the internet and other electronic means to harass another individual, a group or an organization, it is known spil cyberstalking. Typical cyberstalking behavior may include monitoring, false accusations, cyber bullying, gathering information for harassment, threats, bruising gegevens, equipment and other sensitive information, ordering goods and services on behalf of victim and even claiming that the victim is harassing them. It is a type of mental brunt on the victim that is premeditated and malicious with the foot purpose of distressing the victim.
Physical Stalking Vs Cyberstalking
Cyberstalking and physical stalking share several similarities.
- Most stalkers are known to their victims and most of the time ex-flames and former intimates become stalkers. However, this is not to say that strangers do not stalk. Examples of this have bot found ter the auténtico and aparente world.
- The majority of cyberstalking victims are women and most stalkers are usually boys.
- Offline and online, a stalker by nature feels a strong urge to control their victim.
- Victims practice the same amount of fear, desperation and defenselessness whether they are physically stalked or cyber stalked.
However there are certain differences too. Ter the case of cyberstalking:
- The stalker and the victim need not necessarily be te the same geographical location spil a cyber stalker can carry out their activities online no matter what part of the world they are ter.
- One of the scariest aspects of cybertsalking is that a stalker can lightly use electronic third parties to suit their purpose of harassing and menacing their victims. A stalker can therefore lightly postbode misleading information on a forum about the victim or even falsely pose spil the victim te a talk slagroom. Sometimes a stalker even posts the victim&rsquo,s individual information online. Unluckily, it is lighter for the stalker to create havoc ter a victim&rsquo,s life when stalking online.
- It is firmer to confront a cyber stalker due to the barriers of electronic communication.
Online harassment and cyberstalking can be just spil menacing spil physical stalking. Te the 1999 Report on Cyberstalking compiled by the US Department of Justic, Vice-President Reeds Gore said “Make no mistake: this zuigeling of harassment can be spil scaring and spil existente spil being followed and observed te your neighborhood or ter your huis.”
When dating online you will usually meet lots of nice people but every merienda te a while there can be someone with the wrong intentions, such spil cyberstalking. Therefore it is significant to protect yourself and stay safe while you’re looking for a date online.
- Do not give out your voeling details until you get to know someone well enough. If you&rsquo,re using email to communicate with someone, make sure your email address does not give out your individual details. Knowing your phone number, where you live etc is a lotsbestemming of information ter a stalker&rsquo,s forearms.
- When creating your email address for online dating, don&rsquo,t use your utter name. There is no need to expose your utter name until you get to know someone better.
- Keep your guard up. Everyone is not out to get you but there&rsquo,s no harm te just staying careful.
- Do not use your total name spil your screen name or ID on online dating profiles or dating talk rooms.
- Until you know someone well enough, do not discuss too many individual details with them. A stalker uses private details to menace a victim.
- Attempt to use the talk, IM and email services provided by the online dating webpagina.
- Google yourself and make sure there is nothing out there that gives out too many details about you. This is also a good way of ensuring your name is not being used online without your skill.
- If you are violating up with someone you met via online dating but no longer want to pursue the relationship, it may be wise to switch all your passwords, secret questions etc.
If you think you are being cyberstalked, don’t brush it off because it will not go away unless you make it go away.
- If you are being cyberstalked, at the very first example, attempt asking the harasser to zekering or blocking all email from them. Te addition, omzichtig the administration of your dating webpagina spil well so he can be eliminated from the webpagina.
- You can also voeling the stalker&rsquo,s Internet Service Provider (ISP) spil most ISPs have clear policies prohibiting the manhandle of their services. Identify the domain by taking a look at the email address. The name following the &ldquo,@&rdquo, sign is the domain name and you can use this is a embarking point to verkeersopstopping a complaint.
- If it resumes and you feel you are te danger, collect all the evidence you have and report the stalker to your nave police.
- The webstek for [email protected] – Working to Halt Online Manhandle has a lotsbestemming of information.
- This FAQ is helpful too.
- The Cyber Angels online safety education program.
- The US Department of Justice comprehensively explains stalking and lists various statistics.
- The Stalking Resource Center of The National Center for Victims of Crime
- Stalking Victims Sanctuary is a webstek for victims of stalking
Cyberstalking is a legally recognized crime ter almost every country now and several countries have special laws for cyberstalking cases. However, even if your country does not have a special cyberstalking law, if you are a victim, you voorwaarde voeling the police instantly for help.
- USInformatie &ndash, The US presently has no federal law on the kwestie of cyberstalking. However, this article might be helpful. Several states, commencing with California ter 1999 have their own cyberstalking legislation or have at least begun to address the kwestie. Thesis include Florida, Alabama, Arizona, Connecticut and Fresh York among others.
- UKInformatie &ndash, Cyberstalking is classified spil a criminal offence according to the Malicious Communications Act of 1998.
- AustraliaInformatie &ndash, Using technology to harass someone is described spil &ldquo,criminal stalking&rdquo, according to the Stalking Amendment Act (1999)